Position Description -Martial Arts Instructor
Training in the martial arts is a fun and effective way to build fitness and develop discipline, self-confidence, and perseverance. Villari Martial Arts instructors work with children and adults of all ages to teach fighting and self-defense techniques and to develop character in their students.
- Provide instruction on age/level-appropriate techniques.
- Foster self-discipline, self-control and respect within the Dojo and lobby at all times.
Supervise students to ensure that interactions remain safe at all times.
- Encourage the use of the Three Rules, not just at the studio but also at home and at school.
- Assist in keeping students and prospective students motivated throughout their lessons. Encourage students to maintain regular class attendance and regular practice at home. Know all students by their first name.
- Prepare for, attend, and participate in the Villari Instructor Community; successfully master concepts for effective Martial Arts instruction; continue to improve instructional techniques through additional training.
- Master the application of all instructional methods approved by the school.
- Participate, support, and help recruit community events such as demonstrations, parades, after-school & daycare programs, parades, and trade shows.
- Participate in and support both regional and studio events such as tournaments, clinics, graduations, camps, and camaraderie events.
- Inform students about their progress and constructively encourage their ongoing skill mastery.
- Physically agile.
- A competitive spirit.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills with the capacity to command attention and respect. Be strict but encourage fun.
- Respectful, supportive, and fair approach to teaching.
- Passionate about the Martial Arts, self-development, and the development of others.
- Able to correctly demonstrate the techniques and teach them to students in a safe way.
- Instructors must know (or demonstrate the ability to learn) the history, traditions, and values of the Martial Arts so that they can pass these on to their students.
- Instructors should be available before and after class to speak with students, answer questions, and make sure students are on track to reach their goals.
- Maintain a level of personal physical fitness, attitude, and appearance commensurate with the responsibilities of the position.
- Assist in maintaining cleanliness and orderliness of school; maintains cleanliness and organization of dojo.
- Influence other staff members to perform at their maximum capability; motivate and inspire co-workers.
- Perform various other duties and assignments as necessary or required.
- Able to satisfactorily pass a background check.
Must maintain positive and professional communications with both students and parents, conversations should be about the student and their progress. Avoid discussions about politics, sports, religion, etc.
- Instructors must have a positive, solution-oriented personality.